I, again, regret failing to take a picture of this one before doing anything whatsoever to it. But to start this post off, here is the earliest pic I have of this specimen.
After pursuing some sound advice from a fellow artist(wont name who it is since i am not sure if he wants his name thrown out at the moment) who has evidently had experience in this species, I cut it back harder than I was initially comfortable on doing. Following his advice, I cut everything back to the first bud. I also carved out a large branch that was cut off at collection time with plans to remove it completly in due time. Below is a next step of the journey for this specimen.
Here is an update as of 05-10-2013. About a month and a half from collection. These things are hard to kill and anyone who battled them clearing out the woods would know what I mean. I will refine it as the branches elongate a bit more. This is only 4-5 inches tall and 2 inch base. Very nice little shohin.
I defoliated the specimen on 7-20-2013 to ramify further. It has been plenty vigorous so no concerns in doing so.
Coming back nicely after defoliation. This allowed me to fine wire a couple of those bolt upright branches and set a couple more to make the overall branch structure more stable. 8-3-2013